In former times, our region’s mountain huts provided a place for dairymaids, shepherds and cowherds to stay during the summer months. Over countless decades, and without the aid of electricity, delicious butter and cheese were made here between the milking parlor (done by hand, naturally), the barn and the kitchen. Many of those original huts have been preserved to this day, and continue to look after cattle grazing out on nearby alpine pastures.
Today’s addition to all of this, of course, are the hikers, all of whom are treated to a wonderful selection of homemade foods & drinks. 40 such huts are located right here in Grossarltal, the biggest concentration in all of Salzburg – which is the logical reason why Grossarltal acquired its nickname as “The Valley of Mountain Huts”.
Rustic, traditional, authentic. That’s the way an ideal mountain hut has to be. After making their way up there, hikers should be treated to delicious products that have been created right there. A Brettljause platter of bacon and cheeses, a glass of fresh buttermilk, perhaps even a delicious freshly baked doughnut. The cows should be grazing on nearby pastures, where they also spend most of their summer.
And when your hosts begin to sing, perhaps accompanied on the accordion, the idyll of Alpine Summer is raised to perfection.
SalzburgerLand is home to a total of 170 certified “Alpine Summer Huts”. This certificate guarantees a truly authentic experience. In Grossarltal, too, many huts proudly display their Alpine Summer certificate. But what, precisely, are the quality criteria that hikers can expect?
- Originality: the huts are original, rustic and authentic
- Tradition: The huts are run according to traditional methods, with cows, sheep or horses grazing close by
- Food: Hikers are treated to homemade dishes or regional specialties
- Cleanliness: The water at the hut is pure enough to drink, while all local hygiene standards are met
- Access: The hut should be reached either by hiking path or with the aid of lifts (hiking buses for people with mobility issues are also permitted on occasion)
Of course, don’t just take our word for it. Experience the authenticity, tradition and marvelous cooking at “Alpine Summer Huts” in Grossarltal for yourself.