National Park community in the province of Salzburg
Since 2008 Hüttschlag has been at the "Österreichischen
Bergsteigerdörfer", which are selected according to strict criteria. The
Bergsteigerdörfer are a project of the Austrian Alpine Association in
the implementation of the International Alpine Convention.
The former mining community of Hüttschlag (1,020 m) is 8km from Grossarl and since 1991 has been a part of the Hohe Tauern National Park, the largest national park in the Alps with a unique hiking offer.
One is perfectly connected to the Grossarl Valley-Dorfgastein Skiing Arena in winter with the ski bus.
|Hüttschlag Facts and Figures|
|Valley altitude||1.020 m|
|Highest rise||Kesskogel (2.884 m)|
History of Hüttschlag
|400 to 700||According to documents, Slavs coming from Carinthia and Lungau penetrated into the valley during this period. Several place names, such as Klettn, Karteis, Schrambach, Tofern, Moritzen, and so on, are of Slavic origin. The Bavarians, who invaded later, ousted all of the Slavs and warlike confrontation, especially in the Tappenkar- and Bundschuh region, occurred. The Bavarians then assumed the overhand.|
|Church in Hüttschlag||Around the year 1,000, a wooden chapel, which was extended a few years later, is said to have stood here. Hüttschlag was raised to a curacy in 1675 and in 1679 Archbishop Maximilian Gandolf von Khuenberg consecrated the new church to St Joseph. The curacy was raised to parish status only in 1891.|
|1130 to 1137||The first steep path was apparently constructed in the valley in 1130. The first place names were given as Arla, Arela, Urla, Michel-Arl, and Arls various...which became Grossarl Valley.
In 1137 Archbishop Konrad ordered the uneconomic Tauern valleys to be deforested and made cultivable. The settlers sought the best, above all sunniest, locations.
|Mining in Hüttschlag||Already in the 14th and 15th centuries, copper- and sulphur mining is said to have taken place here. Still to be seen in some of the older tunnels are traces of wooden wedges, scraping tools and picks to be seen. Smelting initially took place in the Hüttegalm.|
|The Lutheranism||Lutheranism was brought into the valley and quickly spread in the 17th century by miners from outside. 1,100 people were obliged to emigrate due to their faith in 1731/1732.|
|The School System||The school system saw its beginnings in 1755.
The sexton’s house at that time was built in 1735.
The first lessons could be given in 1755 in the sexton’s parlour. The first teacher was the sexton at that time, Max Paumann.
A new classroom was added in both 1831 and 1905.
The new primary school was built between 1958 and 1960.
The branch school was in Maurach between 1940 and 1972.
The secondary modern school has existed since 1955 in Grossarl.
ENQUIRY & SEARCH
» Download skiing information
» To the ski-pass prices
» Informations about the Grossarl Valley-Dorfgastein skiing region
The Panoramabahn Großarltal is closed. >>Info
Your personal Skiline when skiing in Grossarl Valley. What altitudes did you achieve? Have your very personal “Skiline”.
» To Skiline-Generator
Take part and collect the bonus points
on every ride in Grossarl Valley with the Hochbrand Cabin Railway
» To collecting bonus points
» Kreuzkogel Grossarl Valley Skiing- & Mountain Weather
» Avalanche situation
Blog Grossarl valley
Am kommenden Sonntag, 8. Dezember 2013 ist es so weit: Da wird Mittag um 12.00 Uhr auf ORF2 die Frühschoppensendung ausgestrahlt, ...